Monday, November 5, 2012

Lab 4


 
Potential and pitfall of GIS
        GIS has great potential for three reasons. Firstly, GIS provides people with convenient access to data. For example, I can use data in the data base whenever I want as long as I have the necessary hardware and software. Moreover, I can put new data into the database. In this lab, I created new date frames and changed the names of the frames. Unlike traditional map, which allows users only to get restricted information, GIS allows users to add new data and to change the frame of the database. In addition, GIS has huge advantage in today’s geography because it allows people reuse the raw data for other analytical purpose. In this lab, I accidentally made a mistake. I asserted a wrong diagram, but I fixed the mistake immediately by deleting the diagram and asserting a new one.
        Secondly, GIS is developing at an incredible rate. It is only about 50 years since GIS was created, while map has existed for thousands of years. The technology of map making is mature and has little potential, but GIS has many drawbacks that need to be overcome. Thus people will continue work on GIS, and GIS will continue to improve. Moreover, GIS develops along with technology, especially Internet and electronic devices technologies. Most people agree that these two industries have huge potential and are improving every day. Therefore, GIS is a new geographic field with huge potential.
    Thirdly, geodatabase is better than traditional files. Geodatabase eliminates redundant data and organize data automatically. Because users do not need to organize data, data order will not change when user change. In the lab, I only need to analyze the data rather than organize data, so others can still access to the data without being confused by changed that I made.
    Although GIS has huge advantages over traditional maps, it is far from perfect. Firstly, people should be careful of data organization of GIS. Because GIS is geographic information systems, it can accommodate huge amount of data. Larger database means it is more difficult to manage data efficiently. In my lab experience, I found it hard to find useful data when all the data were presented. I had to block out some data and frequently classify the data into different data frames.
        Secondly, although there are several data models in GIS, none of them are suitable in every situation. In other words, every data model has its own advantage and disadvantage. For example, raster data model can represent continuous data, but it is difficult for people to do spatial analysis. Vector data model represents discrete data well, while it has complicated data structure, which is bad for data management. Therefore, when using GIS, people need to evaluate all the data models and choose the most suitable data model, because no data model is perfect.
        Thirdly, computer technology is double-edged. It provides users with more convenient access to geography, but it also makes it easier to lose data if people forget to save their work or the system crashes. Data is not completely safe because system has the risk of crashing, even if people save their work. In my lab work, I lost my data once when my computer was out of control and I had to restart my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment